Selection of First Colorado Independent Legislative Redistricting Commissioners
The final six members of the Colorado Independent Congressional Redistricting Commission were selected today. They are:
- Martha Coleman (D, Fort Collins), CD-2 from the Senate Majority Leader’s list of finalists;
- Moussa Diawara (U, Colorado Springs), CD-5 unaffiliated selection;
- Carly Hare (U, Firestone), CD-4 unaffiliated selection;
- Jason Kelly (R, Alamosa), CD-3 from the Senate Minority Leader’s list of finalists;
- JulieMarie Shepherd (R, Aurora), CD-6 from the House Minority Leader’s list of finalists; and
- Simon Tafoya (D, Denver), CD-1 from the House Majority Leader’s list of finalists.
They join these six previously selected commissioners to make a full 12-member commission:
- Jolie Brawner (U, Denver), CD-1;
- Paula Espinoza (D, Roxborough Park), CD-4;
- Bill Leone (R, Westminster), CD-7;
- Danny Moore (R, Centennial), CD-6;
- Lori Schell (U, Durango), CD-3; and
- Lisa Wilkes (D, Colorado Springs), CD-5.
Judge Alan Loeb, the chair of the judicial selection panel, thanked the thousands of applicants for the time and energy they put into their applications. “The panel has fulfilled its constitutional obligation to select a panel that reflects Colorado’s racial, ethnic, gender, and geographic diversity. We feel we have selected a strong commission, and we wish them the best in their redistricting efforts.”
Staff will post bios and photos for each commissioner here as they are available. The state constitution requires the Governor to convene the Colorado Independent Congressional Redistricting Commission no later than March 15, 2021.