CSU Ext News Ron Meyer: Pesticide License Renewal Credits (Private and Commercial)

Anyone who purchases restricted-use pesticides must have a Private Pesticide Applicator license which is issued by the Colorado Department of Agriculture.  Private Applicator license study guides and exams can be obtained either from the Colorado Department of Agriculture (https://ag.colorado.gov/plants) or some Colorado State University Extension offices.  This exam is also available on-line.  Once a pesticide license is received, it is active for 3 years before renewal is needed.  Renewal can be achieved by either retaking the exam or attending a recertification course and earning credits.  Recertification courses offer credits which can be substituted for retaking the exam.  Licenses that expire prior to obtaining recertification credits will require re-taking the private pesticide exam.

Recertification credits are currently offered on-line from a number of approved sources. Seven core credits are required for private pesticide recertification.  A few of these on-line pesticide license renewal sources are available at the following websites: https://cepep.agsci.colostate.edu and https://pested.com/product-category/online-courses/colorado/core-co/.  There are various charges for these credits and both sites are approved by the Colorado Department of Agriculture.  Remember to renew your license before the expiration date or re-testing may be required. 

Commercial pesticide license credits are also available on-line, and more details can be found at the above two websites, also.  After the proper credits have been earned, licensee’s need to apply to renew their license. So, get the credits first, then renew the license before expiration.  License renewal applications can be found on the Colorado Department of Agriculture’s website: (https://ag.colorado.gov/cec-workshops-for-qualified-supervisors-and-certified-operators).  This site can also be used to access new applicator license applications and testing requirements.  Commercial pesticide licenses are only required if an operator charges others a fee for pesticide applications. 

Questions regarding pesticide renewal or licensing in Colorado can be directed to the Colorado Department of Agriculture in care of John Scott, johnw.scott@state.co.us

CSU Golden Plains Area Extension,  Ron Meyer, Area Extension Agent (Agronomy), 

(719) 346-5571 x 305, ron.meyer@colostate.edu

Colorado State University Extension programs are available to all without discrimination.

Colorado State University Extension is your local university community connection for research-based information about natural resource management; living well through raising kids, eating right and spending smart; gardening and commercial horticulture; the latest agricultural production technologies and community development. Extension 4-H and youth development programs reach more than 90,000 young people annually, over half in urban communities.

By Tucker Allmer - The BARN

Tucker Allmer & the BARN are members of the National Association of Farm Broadcasting (NAFB), the Colorado FFA Foundation, the Colorado 4H Foundation, the Colorado Farm Show Marketing Committee, 1867 Club Board Member, Denver Ag & Livestock Club Member, the Weld County Fair Board, the Briggsdale FFA Advisory Council, Briggsdale 4H Club Beef Leader & Founder / Coordinator of the Briggsdale Classic Open Jackpot Show.

%d bloggers like this: