West Greeley Conservation District: Conservation Scholarship Opportunity
West Greeley Conservation District (WGCD) hosts a scholarship award program annually for eligible graduating high school seniors whose families live within WGCD boundaries and are taxpayers to the District.
Applicants must be enrolled full-time to attend a Colorado institution of higher learning with studies focused on agriculture, conservation, natural resources or related degree fields in the Fall. Student has earned a 3.0 or better grade point average (GPA). Scholarship Application packets are due by 4 p.m. Friday, March 26th; no exceptions, to be considered for a $5,000 scholarship award.
– A map showing our District boundaries can be found at:
– For eligibility please check your home address at the County Assessor’s site:
https://www.co.weld.co.us/apps1/propertyportal/ to see if your family pays WGCD taxes.
Type in your address and click Full Report.
Scholarship selection is based on the student’s demonstrated:
▪ Scholastic ability, having earned a 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 GPA scale)
▪ Academic commitment to studies in conservation related fields such as:
Natural Resources Environmental Studies
Agriculture Animal Science
Agribusiness Geoscience, etc.
▪ Financial need.
▪ Extracurricular activities, volunteer service and/or conservation projects that impact
Weld County citizens.
Student application process includes:
- Filling out the application form. You can find a downloadable pdf form at:
wgcd.org click conservation education – college scholarships
- You must Compose a typed 2-page personal essay that addresses the importance of agriculture and conservation to you and summarizes your school and community activities and accomplishments plus, your career goals
- A complete up-to-date high school transcript
- Two confidential, sealed letters of character reference/recommendation from someone NOT related to you-the applicant. Letters must be mailed before or at the time the student applies to arrive via mail before Friday, March 26, 2021 deadline. Send to:
West Greeley Conservation District
4302 W. 9th St. Rd.
Greeley, CO 80634
Or you can email them to: email@example.com with the student’s last name in the subject line. Emails must also be received prior to the March 26, deadline.
These letters should speak to the potential scholarship recipient’s personal, civic, and academic accomplishments and their character. They can be from a teacher, principal, advisor, neighbor, employer, counselor, or parent of a friend but not from a family member.
- Applicant might be contacted for an interview
West Greeley Conservation District (WGCD) will accept submissions from:
- Incoming College Freshman, plus
- Renewal/Continuing Education current college students who meet the criteria
The students who are selected will be notified on or before April 23rd with every effort being made to notify their high school prior to graduation. Scholarship winners must notify WGCD of intent to refuse or accept the scholarship no later than June 1, 2021.
IN SUMMARY: Completed application packets can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include: application, essay, goals, transcript(s). In the email subject line type the category/level of the scholarship you are applying for along with your last name in All CAPS. Freshmen candidates must have two personal character reference letters that arrive to WGCD on or before the Friday, March 26, 2021.
WGCD is committed to supporting our taxpayers and encouraging conservation education.