DENVER – The Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC) invites the public, parties and stakeholders to attend the Commission’s rulemaking hearing addressing Mission Change, Alternative Location Analysis and Cumulative Impacts for the 200-600 series, as required by SB 19-181. The hearings will be held Monday, Aug. 24 through Friday, Sept.11, 2020.
“COGCC begins the rulemaking hearing to adopt rules addressing Mission Change, Alternative Location Analysis and Cumulative Impacts, on Aug. 24,” said COGCC Director Julie Murphy. “COGCC Staff has been working to gather and incorporate feedback from all stakeholders to draft rules that reflect the spirit and mandate of SB 19-181. The COGCC was established over 70 years ago, and these SB 19-181 rulemakings propose historic changes that will advance the protection of public health, safety, welfare, wildlife resources and the environment.”
Mission Change, Alternative Location Analysis and Cumulative Impacts Rulemaking Hearing Information:
Dates: Monday, Aug. 24, 2020 – Sept. 11, 2020: NOTE: please check online for a detailed calendar of each day’s agenda and times coming soon.
Time: 8:30 a.m. until adjourned
Aug. 24: Staff Introduction and Public Comment.
Aug. 25-28: Staff and Party Presentations on Staff’s Proposed 300-Series and 500-Series Rules, and Commissioner deliberations.
- Finalize 300-Series and 500-Series Rules as may be necessary.
- Staff and Party presentations on Staff’s Proposed 400-Series and 600-Series Rules, and Commissioner Deliberations.
- Finalize 400-Series and 600-Series Rules as may be necessary.
- Staff and Party Presentations on Staff’s Proposed 200-Series Rules, and Commissioner deliberations.
Remote Access (Zoom ONLY meeting): NOTE: COGCC encourages attendees to join using the computer, not phone, for best participation and interaction. There is no in-person location meeting for this Hearing.
Public & Written Comment for 200-600 Series:
- Public Comment: The Commission will receive public comment on the proposed 200-600 Mission Change rulemaking series on Aug. 24, via Zoom. The public comment sign up is open until 5 p.m. on Aug. 19. and is available at the COGCC website or here.
- Written Comment: The COGCC is accepting written comments for Mission Change rulemaking series 200-600 until Aug. 19 at 5 p.m. Submit written comments to DNR_COGCC.Rulemaking@state.co.us. Be sure to specify in the subject line that your comments are for the 200-600 Mission Change rulemaking.
- Note: Written comments on the 800/900/1200 series rules are due Sept. 18 at 5 p.m. Be sure to specify in the subject line if your comments are for the 200-600 or 800/900/1200 Mission Change rulemaking.
SB 19-181 ensures that oil and gas development and operations in Colorado are regulated in a manner that protects public health, safety, welfare, the environment and wildlife resources. The COGCC is in the midst of reviewing its rules and procedures to evaluate what changes are required to reflect the new law’s requirements. The Commission has adopted three SB 19-181 rulemakings including the 500 Series allowing Administrative Law Judges (August 2019), Flowline rules (November 2019) and Wellbore Integrity rules (June 2020).
The Commission will take up additional SB 19-181 rulemakings at future Commission hearings, including rulemakings around the 800, 900 and 1200 series for Mission Change, Alternative Location Analysis and Cumulative Impacts on Sept. 28, 2020.
To learn more about participating, upcoming hearings and the rulemaking schedule, visit the COGCC website: cogcc.state.co.us