CFB Policy Watch: COOL Back in the Spotlight
On Thursday, February 6, the House Energy and Environment committee will hear HB20-1117: Misbranding Nonmeat and Imported and Artificial Meat. This bill is similar to others we have seen over the last couple of years concerning mandatory meat labeling. This year, it addresses two kinds of labeling issues: nonmeat products and imported meat products. CFB has consistently been opposed to mandatory country of origin labeling (COOL) as well as additional versions of country of origin labeling that have been introduced to the legislature under other names. Last year, to address the growing concern over new market produced “fake meat” products, CFB supported a resolution encouraging the USDA to promulgate rules regarding lab-grown or “fake meat” products.
It is important that we let the Energy and Environment Committee know that this bill is not necessary. If mandatory labels should exist, they should come from the federal level, given our complex national and international food chain and to provide consistency across states. CFB and AFBF support the voluntary use of COOL or COOL type programs where ranchers can take advantage of competitive advantages they have on going in their marketing programs. Colorado already has the Colorado Proud program, that provides this opportunity.
Tell the committee to Vote No on HB20-1117! This bill is unnecessary, as federal legislation already preempts the policy and regulations of this type should be done at the federal level, not the state. Please reach out to each of the the members of the Energy and Environment Committee and ask them to Vote NO!
Members of the House Energy and Environment Committee:
- Dominique Jackson: 303-866-3911, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Edie Hooton: 303-866-2915, email@example.com
- Meg Froelich: 303-866-2921, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tim Geitner: 303-866-2924, email@example.com
- Richard Holtorf; 303-866-2398, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cathy Kipp; 303.866.4569, email@example.com
- Lois Landraf; 303.866.2946, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lori Saine; 303.866.2906, email@example.com
- Emily Sirota; 303.866.2910, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alex Valdez; 303.866.2925, email@example.com
- Mike Weissman; 303.866.2942, firstname.lastname@example.org