By Ed Bowditch, RMFU Government Relations For Colorado
Despite more long nights, the speed of the legislature stalled this week as procedural debates on Monday delayed Senate floor work on the death penalty and oil and gas reform bills. Those debates transitioned from the legislature to the courts where Republicans filed suit against Senate President Garcia on Tuesday. As the storm ravaged the state Wednesday, the Senate continued working to make up for lost time while the House took a snow day. That evening, the FAMLI leave bill passed its first committee hearing in Senate Business. Thursday picked up pace and by Friday, we closed the week with a positive quarterly revenue forecast, triggering the negotiations on the state budget and priority areas for surplus spending. Our official bill count continues to rise slowly, increasing to 437 bills to-date.
Here is our full bill report
Bill action this week:
- HB19-1113 Protect Water Quality Adverse Mining Impacts – passed Senate 3rd reading.
- SB19-139 More Colorado Road And Community Safety Act Offices – passed the Senate, introduced and assigned to House Transport & Local Govt.
- HB19-1168 State Innovation Waiver Reinsurance Program – passed House Approps.
- HB19-1191 Allow Farm Stands On Any Size Principal Use Site – passed Senate Ag.
- SB19-188 FAMLI Family Medical Leave Insurance Program – passed Senate Business and moves to Finance.
Upcoming bill action:
- HB19-1124 Protect CO Residents From Fed Govt Overreach – House Transport & Local Govt 3/20.
SB19-186 Expand Ag Chemical Management Program Protect Surface Water – Senate Ag 3/21.